Downshoredrift

Being swept down the shore of life by the waves of God's grace, ending up a bit farther along than we ever thought possible.

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

What is Worship Anyway?

I posted this on The Grove blog a little while ago, but I liked it so I thought I would bring it over here.

What is Worship Anyway?

I am really excited about The Grove tonight. I pray that God uses it to reveal Himself to us and that it becomes an environment where people can really meet with God and worship Him. John 4 talks about how the Father seeks worshippers, those who worship in Spirit and in Truth. Sometimes, though, when we are trying to do something different, we can fall into the trap of being cool or trendy. I was reading the blog of a friend of mine today named Andrew Jones. I go to his blog pretty often to see what is going on in his life and ministry. He lives in Scotland and works as a missionary to emerging generations of young people all around the world. He had some really thought provoking comments on worship that I thought were relevant to us as we begin this journey together. The whole thing can be found here in a post called Is Our Worship Cool?. But, here is an excerpt:

I do not want to serve coolness but neither do i want to serve the tradition of worship. My worship should be a response to the goodness of God, to His revelation of Himself in me, to me. If my worship is to be given in spirit and in truth, it will most likely come from the deepest part of me and be communicated with art forms that are mine, words that are my language. If i use the language and tools of another, then the gift of worship may be offered by me but may represent the gift of another. Doesnt God ask for my gift?If i offer God my worship, in the artforms that i hope will carry the gift, there will be some who see the result as cool, and others who will see it as lame. This will always be the case. And even if my gift is called cool, the same gift will be not cool in 5 years time. Even lamer in 10 years. To attempt a "cool" worship offering is therefore an impossible task.

Well, I am praying that we are "cool" to God through our true worship so that He is pleased with us and so He receives praise. That is what it is all about anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home