Downshoredrift

Being swept down the shore of life by the waves of God's grace, ending up a bit farther along than we ever thought possible.

Tuesday, December 21, 2004

Christmas

We're getting ready to actually celebrate Christmas over the next couple of days. I have family coming in from Florida and Mississippi and my children are really excited about Santa Claus visiting. I took my 3 year old son to his first movie (The Polar Express) the other day and he seemed to like it, but said he was scared when the train was losing control. I have a few last minute shopping trips to make, but we have mostly gotten everything for everyone.

I am kind of down this year for Christmas because of some pretty severe circumstances concerning my Dad. It is pretty tough when you are supposed to be going through all of the holiday cheer but don't really feel it. I am really glad that the true meaning of Christmas is not about family, presents, caroles, turkey, and Santa Claus. We put so many expectations on a whole month of our year with all the parties and events and it is so easy to lose sight of why Christmas is even celebrated. Our culture desperately wants to redefine the second most holy Christian holiday and most Christians seem to go along with it.

But, I for one am glad that Christmas is really about:

Emmanuel
God With Us
The Coming of the Prince of Peace
The Lord of Lords
The ending of the old age and . . .
The birth of the new
The invasion of the heavenly Kingdom
to bring about the redemption of the sons of men,
the healing of Creation,
Redemption . . . Salvation . . . Completion . . . Restoration
Emmanuel . . . God With Us.

So, for this Christmas season, I have hope in Jesus and hope in His care and love for me, my family, and my church. Thank you, Jesus, for loving us and coming to set us free, to destroy the power of the evil age, and to restore the Kingdom of God to this world. Thank you for taking away my sins and for giving me a new life. Thank you for giving me hope and a purpose. Sometimes, I shakily grasp it, but you are faithful to hold out life to me. I worship you this season and join with the angels singing, "Holy, Holy, Holy, is the Lord God almighty, who was, and is, and is to come."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home